With leadership comes great responsibility. Leadership requires more than vision casting, goal setting, project planning & task management. With leadership comes the role of a shepherd, to care for those under your charge, ensuring their safety and ongoing development.
Great leadership combines competence with compassion.
Leading from the heart looks like this:
- Be available to your "flock" for counseling on personal matters. A listening ear and a kind word can help get them back on track professionally.
- Be protective of your direct reports. Let them know you are on their team.
- Be watchful for new opportunities. Don't be selfish with your star performers. Let them take on new roles when they arise. The more they succeed the better you look!
- Be real. Live and lead authentically, sharing your failures along with your successes. Real people develop loyal followers.
Great leadership extends from the heart. How heartfelt is your leadership style? If you have anything to add to my list from your experience, leave a comment by clicking the comment link below. We'd love to hear from you!
Connecting Learning with Leading
1. How well do you lead from the heart?
2. What two things can you do this week to show your direct reports how much you care?
Need help in becoming a better leader? Contact me at 913-219-7844 for a complimentary consultation to learn more about how you can lead to your full potential.